New to Owl Order? Click here for 2009's best posts! 00:00:00

Sunday 27 June 2010

Sights of Nottingham: My Home in UK

Note: High resolution images of some of the following photos are available. These photos are marked with [HiRes] tags in their captions. Click on the photos to view their higher resolution images.

As I've said in my previous blog post, I'm finally back home in Malaysia.

True, Klang is the only place I can truly call home. The hot, messy room with currently four computers (two desktops, two laptops, totalling nine processors, excluding mobiles) infested with countless mosquitoes, yeah that's where I'm supposed to sleep.

Raleigh Park, however, was the closest thing to home I had when I was in UK. A home away from home, if you like.

Out of the Window 2
[HiRes] The view through my kitchen window.

It provided me with shelter from rain, snow, shine, hot and cold. I made most of my meals there. Cleared my bladder and rectum in the toilets. Got all comfy during the showers and shivered afterwards. Curled up in my bed, hiding under my duvet at the corner of my room. Most importantly, I get (mostly) awesome internet speeds there.

Raleigh Park
[HiRes] Raleigh Park, seen from Ilkeston Road. Notice the Bicycle sculpture right in front of the words "Raleigh Park". This place used to be the site of a bicycle manufacturing factory.

Opened in 2002, this place is relatively new compared to on campus accommodation.

Out of the Window 1
[HiRes] Panorama of the view from my room.

I'm definitely going to miss this place. Packing up was so hard. There's just too much memories I know I'm never going to experience again, at least not anytime soon.

I'll show you what I mean. This is my living room slash kitchen slash dining room.

Hang Out
[HiRes] My kitchen/dining/living room.

Things to note:
1. Dining table, on which so many activities other than dining was accomplished. Like watching the others play games on PS2. Or Alex and Jamie slamming the table playing, um, Slam. Or me stuttering over the word game Articulate.
2. Stack of beer bottles, by my housemates Alex and Jamie.
3. Geoff's TV, FM radio, PS2.
4. Fridge and fridge magnets I got from the uni. Visitors and hosts alike had fun with the words.
5. My containers and wok (on top of the cupboard next to the fridges) which helped me prepared so many meals.
6. The stove, grill and oven. I had quite some "fun" cleaning the microwave oven last time. And there's Geoff's toaster.
7. Couches. On which so many visitors spent the nights.

And his is a picture of my room at the peak of its messiness, about 2 weeks after my final exam and few days before I started packing for home.

Messy
[HiRes] My messy room.

Things to note:
1. (Bottom left corner) Pringles Pyramid. The amount of Pringles I ate in 9 months is simply astounding. And I threw some away already.
2. (Middle left) My calendar. I filled it up with my expenses, that way I can track how much I spend each day in UK.
3. (Top left) Row of receipts from my first days in UK. I stopped collecting receipts -- the sheer amount is shocking. Superseded by the said calendar.
4. (Top left) Other things on the notice board: souvenirs for my sisters, Malaysia flag, a CD containing Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, UK parliamentary election polling card.
5. (Middle) My laptop right in front of my chair.
6. (Middle) Other things on the table: boxes of muesli (my favourite breakfast/snack), an 800g loaf of seeded bread from Hovis, a stack of DVDs, my phone, water bottles, pencil cases, stacks of paper, notes, coaster...
7. (Top right) My towel hanging on the window grill.
8. (Top) Lightbulb. I changed it from a lower power bulb to a higher power one. From 12W to 23W I think.
9. (Top left) Shelf. My razor, toothpaste, toothbrush, snacks, unopened cans of Pringles, scrap paper were all there.
10. (Top right) Cupboard. Filled not with clothes, but with empty muesli boxes. 24, to be exact.
11. (Bottom right) Bed.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.